EMPORIA, Kan. (WIBW) - Fireworks sparked some scary moments for an Emporia family, destroying their home.
Lindsey Tacy says her five-year-old son and eight-year-old daughter were playing with sparklers while staying with their grandparents this morning. She says they put the spent sticks on the ground, which ignited dry grass under the front porch.
Tacy says her daughter noticed when the flames spread to the front porch and went inside to notify her grandmother. Within about ten minutes, the porch was engulfed and the flames were spreading.
Emporia Fire Dept. Battalion Chief Tim Webb says crews had the fire under control in about 20 minutes, but, as they continued battling hot spots, they also battled the hot weather. Webb says the conditions can make it more difficult for firefighters to operate. He says people wear down quicker, so they are careful about dehydration and take frequent breaks.
Fortunately, no one was injured, but it did cause plenty of anxiety. Tacy says she had a knot in her stomach worrying about her mother, the kids and the dog as she rushed to the scene.
She says the ordeal has her urging everyone to be cautious. She says it was an accident with a result no one really expects will happen to them.
The home and everything inside are a total loss. Tacy says the landlord and area stores are helping her parents with their needs.
Designed by Gray Digital Media