SILVER LAKE, Kan. (WIBW) - A local community is helping a family who lost everything in a house fire get back on their feet.
Volunteers gathered to clean up the inside and outside of a temporary home for the Pearson-Martin family who lost everything when their home was destroyed Sunday night.
The temporary home was vacant, so volunteers contacted the homeowners and worked out an arrangement to let the family stay there.
"It's a small community. That's what we do," said volunteer Cori Wegner. "When somebody is in need, and the tragedy happens, we all gather together and do what we need to do to bring them back to the community and help them out."
Already, donors have given a special medical bed for Gregory, who is paralyzed.
Donations of clothing and other items are still needed.
A list of needs, and sizes are listed below. All items can be dropped off at Silver Lake High School from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Greg (Dad) - X Large t-shirts and sweatpants
- Heather (Mom) - Medium shirts
- Melissa (Daughter) - Medium shirts; 9-10 pants; shoes 6 ½ - 7
- Chris (Son) - Large shirt; pants 30x30; shoes 9 1/2
- Luke (Son) - Medium shirts; pants 28x30; shoes size 9-10
- Jake (Son) - Youth Medium shirts and pants; shoe size 6
You also can make cash donations at the high school's bank or Silver Lake Bank branches.