Safety Tips to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By: From 13 News/ Topeka Fire Department
By: From 13 News/ Topeka Fire Department

FROM TOPEKA FIRE DEPARTMENT -- Often called the Silent Killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels i.e. gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil or methane, burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.

A few easy Safety Tips include:
Installing a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and appropriate mounting height of your CO alarms.

Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

If your CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door and make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel arrive and determine that it is safe to return inside.

If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open.

During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow build-up. As well, make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.

Never use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement or garage, or near a window.

Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented and never attempt to heat your home with a gas oven.

Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.

631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email:
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134727573 -
Gray Television, Inc.