Roman Candles Blamed For Topeka Blaze

By: Suzie Gilbert Email
By: Suzie Gilbert Email

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Officials say fireworks are to blame for a blaze at 523 SW Fillmore.

It happened at an apartment building. Neighbors say people were shooting Roman candles at each other when the fire spread. No one was injured, but the blaze cause about $10 thousand in damage.

Local fire crews have been called out close to 150 times in the last 24 hours.

Shawnee Heights and Mission Township Fire crews say they've each gotten about a dozen calls from Tuesday night to Wednesday, July 4th at noon. They say many of the calls were small grass and tree fires that were caused by fireworks.

Topeka Fire crews had nearly 85 of the same calls in 24 hours. Firefighters say they're on high alert.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 161358605 - wibw.com/a?a=161358605