RILEY COUNTY, Kan. (WIBW)-- Riley County fire officials say a fire that tore through a family's home started near a wood stove in the basement.
Riley County Fire Chief Pat Collins says crews were called to a house at 5650 McDowell Creek Road, 10 miles outside of Manhattan, on Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM.
Collins says the home was built in 1890 and that the blaze started at or around the wood stove located in the basement. The residents- a mother, father and their four children- were home at the time and escaped safely as flames spread to the rest of the house but not before the father tried to fight the fire with a hose.
Firefighters hauled 27,000 gallons of water to the scene from Manhattan and were assisted by crews from Geary County and Fort Riley. McDowell Creek Road was shut down to Interstate 70 for a period of time as firefighters worked to extinguish the fire.
Collins says the home "was almost totally destroyed" and estimates the damage to be between $130-$150,000. Some sections, including the bedrooms belonging to the children and laundry room, were saved and the residents were trying to salvage what belongings they could on Monday.
No one was injured.
The family is reportedly staying with the property owner who Collins says is a relative.
Designed by Gray Digital Media