Police: Computer Work Fatal For Electrocuted Teen

By: AP posted by Amanda Lanum
By: AP posted by Amanda Lanum

SHAWNEE, Kan. (AP) - Shawnee police say the death of a 16-year-old boy this summer underscores the dangers of working on computers without being fully trained to do so.

The teen was found dead in his home Aug. 16, and an autopsy indicated the youth was electrocuted after accessing the power supply area of a computer.

KCTV reported Monday that the computer was unplugged at the time, and police believe the boy was stripping an older computer for parts. They say many people don't understand that computers carry a charge even when they are unplugged and broken.

Police say it's not a good idea to strip an old computer to build a new one because of the danger it poses to people who don't know what they're doing.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 173309321 - wibw.com/a?a=173309321