SHAWNEE, Kan. (AP) - Shawnee police say the death of a 16-year-old boy this summer underscores the dangers of working on computers without being fully trained to do so.
The teen was found dead in his home Aug. 16, and an autopsy indicated the youth was electrocuted after accessing the power supply area of a computer.
KCTV reported Monday that the computer was unplugged at the time, and police believe the boy was stripping an older computer for parts. They say many people don't understand that computers carry a charge even when they are unplugged and broken.
Police say it's not a good idea to strip an old computer to build a new one because of the danger it poses to people who don't know what they're doing.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.