Overnight Apartment Fire Sends One To Hospital

By: 13 News
By: 13 News

TOPEKA, Kansas (WIBW) -- An overnight fire sent one person to the hospital while others returned to their homes safely.

At about 3:30 a.m. Sunday morning the Topeka Fire Department responded to a report of an automatic fire alarm to 2200 SE 28th Street at the Century Plaza Apartment complex.

Heavy smoke and flames were seen coming from apartment #21. The person inside the apartment had escaped and was found outside the apartment. Rescue crews performed emergency first aid and transported the occupant to a local hospital in stable condition with non-life threatening injuries.

The fire was put out around 4 a.m. and Shawnee County Dispatch said it was contained to only apartment #21.

Four separate residents were assisted in evacuation by rescue crews from adjacent apartments. Those evacuated could return to their homes.

An investigation revealed the blaze started in a back bedroom at the north end of the apartment. It is classified as accidental. The cause is careless smoking.

Damage is estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $30,000 dollars in content damage.

Three engines, two truck companies, two Chief Officers and two Fire Investigators responded to the scene.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 226658551