TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)__Shortly after 5 p.m. Friday afternoon, Fire Crews were called out to 1021 NW Central Avenue in North Topeka to reports of flames in a residential area.
Upon arrival fire fighters noticed the back of the home, near the kitchen, in flames. Crews entered through the front of the home and extinguished the fire in about 20 minutes.Fire fighters believe it started from a burner that had been turned on or left on in the kitchen.
Two dogs were in the home and were saved when a neighbor kicked in the doors of the home and brought them out of the burning house.
Officials at the scene say the woman and five children that lived in the home were not present at the time of the fire.
The home sustained heavy smoke damage throughout and is said to be non-livable. Red Cross is providing assistance to the family.