The Topeka Fire Department responded to a house with smoke coming from the basement of a house shortly after 6:00 A.M. Wednesday, May 16, 2012. While en-route to the fire, crews were advised there were several calls received about this fire and heavy smoke was now coming from a basement window.
First arriving fire crews found heavy smoke and fire coming from a basement window. Crews made entry into the building and were able to quickly extinguish the fire.
The Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to determine the origin (where the fire started) and the cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
* Origin of the fire was determined to be inside the house.
* Cause (of this fire) is being classified as Incendiary. (Intentionally Set)
* Estimated dollar loss - $ 15,000 (Fifteen Thousand Dollars); $15,000.00 estimated structural damages/loss and there was content damages/loss due to the house being vacant.
* Time of the alarm was 6:00 A.M.
* Fire Crews arrived at 6:04 A.M.
* Three (3) Engine Companies, One (1) Aerial, and One (1) Tuck Company responded to the alarm along with the Shift Commander, a Battalion Chief, an Investigator, and Safety Officer.
* Officers from the Topeka Police Department, along with the Office of the Kansas State Fire Marshall, were on scene to assist with the investigation.
Anyone with information about the individual or individuals who might have started this fire are asked to call Crime Stoppers at (785) 234-0007.