LIBERAL, Kan. (AP) -- Authorities in southwest Kansas say the damage from an explosion at an ethanol plant could top $1 million.
KWCH-TV reports the Seward County Fire Department was called to the Arkalon Energy plant in Liberal around 7 p.m. Sunday.
County Fire Chief Mike Rice says plant officials told crews a piece of equipment that dries corn exploded on the second floor, blasting out three walls and blowing panels off the building. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters left more than eight hours later, then were called back shortly around 5:30 a.m. Monday when the fire re-ignited. Rice says fire had gotten into insulation and ventilation pipes.
Arkalon officials and their insurance company say the blast may have been caused by a natural gas explosion in the corn dryer's combustion chamber.
Posted by: Nick Viviani
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.