MANHATTAN, Kan. – Three fires kept fire crews busy Friday morning in the Little Apple.
Firefighters responded to 2172 Patricia Place at 1:49 a.m. for a report of a structure fire that was discovered by a Riley County Police Department officer on bike patrol. The accidental fire was caused by a candle and did $2500 in damage. One occupant was transported by Riley County EMS for smoke inhalation.
At 5:59 a.m., firefighters were called to 618 Yuma Street for a report of two cars on fire. Crews found a 2008 Dodge Caliber and a 2003 Hyundai Sonata on fire behind the residence. The cause of the fire is listed as incendiary. Riley County Police Department investigators, in cooperation with fire investigators from the Manhattan Fire Department, are currently working on the investigation.
While still on scene at the incident on Yuma Street, crews received a report of a duplex on fire at 1208 Ratone Street. Upon arrival shortly after 7:00 a.m., crews found an exterior fire rapidly extending around the structure. The fire was brought under control in 15 minutes. Damage estimates are $20,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to the improper installation of a wood burning stove.
This is a good time to remind citizens to use extra caution when using solid fuel heating appliances. Fireplace or wood burning stove ashes should be placed in a non-combustible container and properly cooled before discarding. Ashes often remain hot for several days after a fire. The City of Manhattan also requires a mechanical permit for the installation of any heating device. This permit can be obtained from the Code Services office located at 2000 Denison Avenue.