Late-Night Cooking Leads To Topeka House Fire

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- A Topeka homeowner says his late-night cooking may have lead to a fire that did $100,000 damage to his home overnight into Thursday.

At about 2:19 a.m., the Topeka Fire Department responded to 3228
SW Westwood Ct. to battle the fire. First responding companies reported seeing heavy smoke and flames coming from the back of the single-family home.

The man who lives at the home had evacuated before crews arrived. They said he lives alone.

An investigator found that the fire did, in fact, start in the kitchen, on or near the stove top. The fire is being classified as accidental, associated with an unattended stove top.

Damage to the home is estimated at $60,000. Content damage is estimated at $40,000.

Three engine companies, two truck companies, two battalion chiefs, one safety officer, and one investigator responded to this fire. No injuries were reported.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 212306821 - wibw.com/a?a=212306821