TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Kansas has linked more cases of listeriosis to contaminated cantaloupes.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment said Monday it the state has seven cases of listeriosis linked to the multi-state outbreak. The number includes two people who've died from the bacterial infection.
KDHE is collaborate with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration, the Kansas Department of Agriculture and health officials in other states in the investigation. The listeriosis cases are associated with consumption of Rocky Ford cantaloupes from Jensen Farms.
KDHE says additional labe testing added two more cases to the state's total since its Sept. 22 update. Typically, Kansas reports fewer than six cases of listeriosis per year.
Additional information from KDHE:
Listeriosis primarily occurs among older adults, persons with weakened immune systems, pregnant women and newborns. Symptoms include fever, muscle aches, diarrhea and vomiting. People with these symptoms should consult a physician.
Symptoms typically occur three to 70 days after exposure. If you have eaten a recalled cantaloupe but have not experienced any symptoms, no testing for Listeria is recommended. However, if you develop symptoms please contact your health care provider.
Rocky Ford cantaloupes from Jensen Farms should not be eaten but instead disposed of in a closed plastic bag placed in a sealed trash can. This will prevent people or animals from eating them. Even if some of the cantaloupe has been eaten without becoming ill, dispose of the rest of the cantaloupe immediately. If the whole cantaloupe is unlabeled, please contact your retail store to determine the source of the fruit. Listeria bacteria can grow in the cantaloupe at room and refrigerator temperatures. People should wash their hands before and after handling melon. The surface of melons should be washed and dried with a clean cloth or paper towel before cutting. Cut melon should be promptly refrigerated at less than 41ºF. Cut melons left at room temperature for more than 4 hours should be discarded.