TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)-- Fire officials say improperly discarded smoking materials sparked a blaze at a Lawrence apartment complex late Wednesday night.
Flames tore through two buildings at the Berkeley Flats Apartments on Mississippi Street. Damage is estimated at more than $400,000
People from a dozen apartments were evacuated.
Fourteen K.U. students are among those displaced. The Red Cross and the University are teaming up to assist with textbooks, school supplies and computer replacement.
People who would like to help those affected should call 785-843-3550.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.