Authorities Blame Space Heater For House Fire That Injured Resident

By: Nick Viviani/Melissa Brunner
By: Nick Viviani/Melissa Brunner

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Fire investigators say a Monday afternoon house fire that sent a resident to the hospital with serious injuries was sparked by an electrical failure associated with a space heater.

Fire crews were called around 4:40 pm Monday to a home near SE 3rd and Chandler St. Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the front and south side of the home.

Topeka fire officials say a resident at the home was stabilized at the scene and taken to the hospital with injuries that were considered potentially life threatening. Shawnee County dispatch has said initial reports were person suffered burns on their hands, going up their arms.

Fire officials say the fire spread to a neighbor's house, but crews quickly got it under control. The neighbor's house suffered very little damage beyond superficial burns to the side of the structure.

Investigators say the home where the mail fire broke out suffered about $18,000 in damages.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 245882541