Gas Vapors To Blame For Explosion On KC's Country Club Plaza

By: Stephanie Schultz
By: Stephanie Schultz
Authorities say employees were unable to turn off pilot lights for the stove and hot water heater before the explosion occurred.

KCTV

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Federal and local officials say a fatal explosion and fire at JJ's Restaurant on the Plaza last month were sparked by natural gas vapors in the restaurant.

Authorities say employees were unable to turn off pilot lights for the stove and hot water heater before the explosion occurred.

The report released Wednesday by the Kansas City Fire Department states the fire began in the kitchen's cooking area when uncontained liquid gas was ignited.

The explosion and fire injured 16 people and killed 46-year-old Megan Cramer -- a server at JJ's.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 197907121 - wibw.com/a?a=197907121