The Topeka Police and Fire Departments wish to remind all Topeka citizens that as we continue to enjoy this 4th of July and fireworks season, to please do so safely.
The following Safety Tips are being offered to ensure a safe celebration:
· Always read and follow the directions on the fireworks labels.
· Do not attempt to re-light a “dud” firework…allow 10 -15 minutes to pass and then soak it in a bucket of water; always keep a bucket or garden hose handy when discharging fireworks.
· Only purchase fireworks from reliable sellers and never experiment with homemade devices.
· Dispose of fireworks properly - soak them in water and then dispose of them in a trashcan.
· Never throw or point fireworks at other people and never carry fireworks in your pocket.
· Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers and never stand over a firework when igniting it.
· Only ignite fireworks outdoors, never indoors.
· Store unused fireworks in a cool, dry place; up at least six inches off a floor and protected from potential spillage from other contaminants.
· Light one firework at a time, and then move away to a safe distance.
· When lighting fireworks in-group settings always appoint a designated lighter.
· Whenever possible, use a pump or long handled lighter to ignite fireworks.
· Follow the laws; use common sense.
Additionally: Please help to keep our community’s streets and neighborhoods clean by properly discarding fireworks debris.