WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Fireworks are getting the blame for a Wichita fire that seriously injured a woman and her young child.
The Wichita Eagle (http://bit.ly/LrWeqJ ) reported that the blaze started early Sunday in a plastic trash can near the house where people had dumped fireworks remnants.
The trash smoldered for hours before sparking a fire that spread to the house.
Fire Lt. Kelly Zane says a 37-year-old woman and her 2-year-old son were the only ones in the home at the time of the fire. They were able to escape.
The mother and son have been taken to the burn unit at a Wichita hospital, where they are both in serious condition. Zane says neither the mother nor her son set off any of the fireworks.
Information from: The Wichita Eagle, http://www.kansas.com
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.