Fire thumbnail KAUZ MGN
SALINA, Kan. -- Monday morning at approximately 9:00 a.m., crews from the Salina Fire Department were dispatched to a working house fire located at 806 W. Ash.
Upon arrival by the first in company, smoke and flames were visible coming from the rear of the house. Fire crews were able to make a quick knock down on the fire and contain the fire spread to the back of the house, overhaul operations were conducted inside the house to check for hot spots in the attic area.
Westar Energy was called to the scene to secure a power line that was down due to the fire damage at the power meter.
Fire investigations determined that the fire was started by a child
playing with a lighter at the back of the house between the shed and the
house. There were 5 people home at the time of this fire and all
escaped without significant injury; the juvenile was evaluated on-scene
by SFD Paramedics for a small superficial burn to his cheek he was
release back to his parents.
Red Cross representatives responded to the scene assisted the tenants
with temporary shelter since the home is without utilities and not
habitable at this time.
Matches, lighters, and other heat sources are the leading causes
of fire deaths for children. Never underestimate your child's curiosity
about fire, nor their ability to strike matches or start a lighter.
Store matches and lighters out of children's reach and sight, preferably
in a locked cabinet.
Remember, even child-resistant lighters are not childproof and should
be stored securely as well.
When a child is curious about fire or has been playing with fire, calmly
and firmly explain that matches and lighters are tools for only adults to
use carefully. In addition, instruct toddlers to tell you when they find a
match or lighter.
Never use matches or lighters as amusement for your children. They
may imitate your actions.