Family Safe After Jeff. Co. Fire

By: 13 News Posted by Josh Mabry
By: 13 News Posted by Josh Mabry

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Kan. (WIBW)-- A family escaped without injury when a fire started in the kitchen area of their home Friday.

Authorities say it happened sometime after 9 a.m. at a residence near The Barn Bed and Breakfast Inn at 14910 Bluemound Road.

According to fire crews, a man in the home awoke to smoke. He was able to get two children out of the residence unharmed. A smoke detector didn't sound-- authorities blamed bad batteries.

Crews on scene said the fire started with an electrical short in the kitchen and porch area of the home. It spread into the ceiling before firefighters were able to put it out.

The chief of rural water district No. 1 told 13 News wind made the fire more difficult to extinguish. He said the brick structure of the home helped keep the fire from spreading.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 154121875 - wibw.com/a?a=154121875