JEFFERSON COUNTY, Kan. (WIBW)-- A family escaped without injury when a fire started in the kitchen area of their home Friday.
Authorities say it happened sometime after 9 a.m. at a residence near The Barn Bed and Breakfast Inn at 14910 Bluemound Road.
According to fire crews, a man in the home awoke to smoke. He was able to get two children out of the residence unharmed. A smoke detector didn't sound-- authorities blamed bad batteries.
Crews on scene said the fire started with an electrical short in the kitchen and porch area of the home. It spread into the ceiling before firefighters were able to put it out.
The chief of rural water district No. 1 told 13 News wind made the fire more difficult to extinguish. He said the brick structure of the home helped keep the fire from spreading.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.