Emporia Gas Leak Leads To Brief Evacuation

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) --- Officials say around 25 people were evacuated from an area just Southwest of Emporia on Wednesday morning due to a natural gas leak.

Emporia Fire Department Jack Taylor told 13 News that the gas leak was due to a faulty valve and was taken care of immediately after the problem was reported.

Residents were evacuated around 9:30am and were allowed to return to their homes and businesses shortly after.

Taylor said the Fire Department received a few other reports of the natural gas odor around town, but explained that the smell was just from remnants of the leak and residents are in no danger at all.

631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135176683 - wibw.com/a?a=135176683
Gray Television, Inc.