TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)-- Units of the Topeka Fire Department were dispatched around noon Friday to a house fire at 3009 southwest 8th.
When crews arrived they saw heavy smoke coming from the residence and kicked in a door to gain entry. According to officials, fire crews conducted two searches of the residence, but found nobody inside.
Fire was discovered in an area of the home's basement near a clothing dryer. Despite what officials describe as challenges when fighting a basement fire, Battalion Chief Todd Williams said Friday crews were able to extinguish it quickly.
The official cause of the fire was under investigation Friday afternoon, but noted the importance of taking care of home dryers. Williams said home owners should routinely clean dryer hoses and lent traps.
A damage estimate wasn't immediately available Friday, but Williams said the home had suffered significant damages from smoke.