Investigators Blame Electrical Problem For Fire SE Of Topeka

By: Josh Mabry/Melissa Brunner
By: Josh Mabry/Melissa Brunner

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)-- Investigators blame electrical issues for a fire that did extensive damage to a southeast Shawnee County home.

Shawnee Heights Fire crews were called to 2520 SE 85th just before 3:30 pm Wednesday.

Officials say a resident was outside the home, heard a fire alarm, went inside the house and saw the smoke.

Crews saw flames coming out a southeast bedroom window when they arrived. They knocked the fire down quickly, but not before wind fanned the flames through the entire attic area and out the roof.

Damage is estimated at $120,000 with extensive damage through the house.

Fire officials say investigators determined an electrical outlet in the southeast bedroom on the main floor overheated.

No one was injured, but fire personnel cycled out more frequently due to the hot weather. About 30 firefighters from Shawnee Heights and Auburn assisted in fighting the fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 212229361 - wibw.com/a?a=212229361