The following is from Lyon Co. RWD #4:
TOPEKA, Kan. – The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has issued a boil water advisory for the Lyon Co. RWD #4.
The water district water supply has experienced a loss of pressure in the water system due to a water main break. When such a loss of pressure occurs, it is possible for contaminants to enter the system. Chlorine residuals may also drop to levels that are inadequate to protect against bacterial contamination.
Effective immediately, or as water is available, customers should observe the following precautions until further notice:
* Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation, or use bottled water.
* Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.
* Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.
* Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.
* If your tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.
The system and/or KDHE will notify area media when the boil water advisory has been rescinded. For more information, contact the Lyon Co RWD #4 Office at 620-342-6775.