FROM THE BBB -- Kansans throughout the State last night dealt with severe weather. The Better Business Bureau wants to remind consumers as they are cleaning up and assessing repairs a few simple reminders before hiring contractors.
1. FREE Business Information: Check out a company’s Business Review and complaint history on our website; and that site is: www.kansasplains.bbb.org or call us at 800-.856-.2417.
It’s easy and FREE.
2. Cost Comparisons: Obtain at least three written bids and take the time to learn why they may be different.
3. Licensing: Check to see if the company you plan to hire is required to be licensed for the work they are doing. You can call the government offices of your city or county for this information.
4. Insurance: Be sure to verify the company’s liability insurance to protect you against any damage. Check with your local city and county offices.
5. References: Ask for references from their previous jobs within the last six months and check them out before you sign a contract.
6. Written Contract: Before work starts, have a written and signed contract, including start and completion dates, exact costs, specific work to be done and warranty information. Read the fine print carefully and understand all terms and conditions before signing.
7. Deposit & Payment: If a deposit is required, it should not be more than half of the total job cost. Final payment should only be made when the job is complete and has passed final inspection. Pay by check or credit card; this serves as record of your payment.
8. Warranty: Obtain warranty information on installation and products in writing. Be sure to read and understand all of the terms and conditions of the warranty.
9. Bonding: Be sure all workers are bonded, if required locally, to protect against theft and damage.
10. Permits: Make sure that the contractor pulls all appropriate permits, if required, for any of the work to be done.