Apartment Fire Displaces Multiple People

By: Chelsey Moran
By: Chelsey Moran

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Several people were rescued from an apartment after a cooking fire broke out Saturday night in Topeka.

12 victims were rescued from upper level apartments utilizing ground ladders after fire crews were called to 1306 SW Harrison around 11:45 p.m.

Heavy smoke and flames were visible from a second story apartment.

Several of the victims were treated at the scene for minor injuries. One was transported to a local hospital by AMR and then to KU Medical Center in stable condition.

Damage is estimated at $50,000 total, $20,000 of that to content and $30,000 in structural damage.

The fire is being classified as an accidental cooking fire caused by unattended grease on the stove.

The Red Cross assisted with lodging and support for 20 adults and 5 children displaced by the incident. The Topeka Transit Authority assisted with one city bus that was used to shelter victims from the cold, and the transportation of the displaced occupants to emergency lodging. The Topeka Police Department assisted with scene security and traffic control.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 187652331 - wibw.com/a?a=187652331