Topeka, KANSAS (WIBW) -- Fourth of July is a special time of year, especially for kids who enjoy shooting off fireworks. But they can be dangerous -- even the most "simple" of all fireworks, the sparkler, burns hotter than any stove. In fact, sparklers burn around 1,200 degrees, while it only takes 900 degrees to melt glass.
St. Francis Health Center has provided a list of safety tips for the Fourth of July weekend.
*Do not allow children to play with fireworks under any circumstances.
*Older kids should only be permitted to play with them under close adult supervision.
*Light fireworks outdoors, away from dry areas and leaves.
*Keep a bucket of water nearby, and possibly a water hose.
*Do not re-light malfunctioning fireworks.
*Make sure people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
*Never ignite fireworks in a container.
*Store fireworks in a call, dry place.
*Observe local laws.
*Don't experiment with homemade fireworks.
Never have a portion of your body above fireworks.