HAYSVILLE, Kan. (AP) _ Classrooms at a middle school in central Kansas have reopened after wet asbestos was found in the ceiling.
Haysville Middle School reported damage to its roof from melting ice after a recent winter storm. The school said asbestos plaster above drop ceilings in 12 classrooms became soaked with water.
The school said in a news release that it notified the Kansas Department of Health and Environment on Monday and had taken steps
to contain the rooms and move the students.
The Environmental Protection Agency says asbestos mineral fibers when inhaled can cause significant lung problems.
The school district said air quality tests showed no fibers had been released, and the classrooms reopened Thursday.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.