Fire Destroys Trailer Home

(Topeka, Kan.)- A mobile home fire devestated a Topeka family Thursday.

The blaze broke out just before 11:30 a.m. at 3736 Southeast 40 highway. 33-year-old Jamie Mechtley was home at the time.

His sister Nicole Cott says he dumped an ash tray in the trash with a hot cigarette in it. He was folding laundry in the bedroom when he smelled smoke and found the kitchen engulfed in flames.

He grabbed his two dogs and got out safely.

Cott says the family had just brought the Christmas Tree in Wednesday night and had hoped to decorate it Thursday.

Damage is estimated at $15,000.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 36021444 - wibw.com/a?a=36021444