FORT LEAVENWORTH, Kan. (AP) - Army officials and members of Congress are breaking ground on a $15.5 million religious complex at Fort Leavenworth.
It will replace a historic church that stood 112 years before burning in 2001.
The complex will have a chapel with a main sanctuary that can seat 600 and could be expanded to hold 1,200. It also will have classrooms and be connected to a smaller chapel.
Soldiers have used smaller chapels since the former St. Ignatius building burned.
Fort Leavenworth is the Army's oldest post west of the Mississippi River. Worship services began there in 1828.
St. Ignatius was built as a Roman Catholic church in 1889 and given to the Army in 1967. Parts of its foundation remain, and the site is now a park.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.