Apartments Evacuated Due to Carbon Monoxide Leak

TOPEKA, Kan. - The Topeka Fire Department responded to Embassy Apartments, 2920 SW Gage Boulevard, shortly before 12:20am Friday, August 15, 2008. Upon arrival fire officials reported finding and recording high levels (560ppm) of Carbon Monoxide (CO) present within the building.

The apartment units were evacuated and at least two people were transported to a local hospital for evaluation; four other people were assessed at the scene by American Medical Response.

Fire officials ventilated approximately 14 apartments and the CO levels were reduced to an acceptable point (15ppm).

The Kansas Capital Area Chapter of the American Red Cross was called and responded to the incident and assisted four families with immediate post-incident related needs.

Local Gas Service officials were called and responded to this incident to interrupt the gas supply to the structure. After successfully doing so a boiler (located in the basement of the apartments), was tagged out-of-service and it’s gas supply was shut off by the gas company as well

City of Topeka Police officers assisted with the evacuation of the apartments.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 27034974 - wibw.com/a?a=27034974
Gray Television, Inc.