Lawrence Fire Sends 3 to Hospital

LAWRENCE, Kan. - An apartment home near the University of Kansas went up in flames Thursday morning. It happened at 1005 Indiana just after 5:00 a.m.

Fire officials have classified as accidental due to the illegal use of fireworks which ignited a couch on the front porch of the house.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical reports that initial crews found the three-story structure well involved in flames and initiated a defensive attack.

Two people inside the apartment complex were treated then taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for injuries. One of those people was treated and released. The other was transported to KU Medical Center for further treatment due to the extent of injuries.

A firefighter was also transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for non-life threatening injuries and later released. All other apartment occupants were accounted for.

It took crews almost four-and-a-half hours, until 9:39 a.m., to get the fire under control. Damage was estimated to total $360,000.

The Red Cross is assisting the displaced occupants.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 26152644