Topeka Family Escapes House Fire

By: Brian Quick Email
By: Brian Quick Email

A house fire that forced a family to evacuate their home Monday evening has been determined as electrical. The blaze, which happened on Ohio Street, caused $25,000 in damage.

Brian Downing, the homeowner, was called by his family, who told him his house was on fire. As he raced home, his mother, grandmother and girlfriend made it out of the fire.

When Downing arrived, he rushed into the home with a hose and tried to fight the second-story fire. He told 13 News the smoke started to get to him, and Topeka Police showed up and made him leave.

Firefighters put out the fire fairly quickly, and saved a great deal of personal items. Watch our video to see how firefighters saved so many items.

Downing's great grandmother turned 90 on Mother's Day, and has never experienced anything like this in her 90 years.

Downing said the real valuables -- his family -- were safe.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 19086934 - wibw.com/a?a=19086934