Garage Destroyed, House Damaged in Early Morning Fire

A fire on K-4 in Shawnee County engulfed the garage before firefighters even arrived and had spread to the house before they managed to get it under control.

Occupants were aroused in the home, 12449 K-4 Highway, by alert neighbors pounding on the door to awaken them and alert them to the fire.

Fire crews battled the garage fire cautiously, worried about a possible propane tank and ammunition inside.

"(Y)ou have no idea what people store in there," said Shawnee Co. Fire Chief Bill Ossmann. "They could be storing, with the price of gasoline, they could be storing gasoline for spring mowing, that kind of thing. Hazardous materials, ammunition, just whatever people put in the garage."

Fire crews managed to get the fire under control in about ten to 15 minutes.

While the garage was destroyed, the damage to the house was contained to the the siding near the garage. They have not yet determined the cause of the fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 17417734 - wibw.com/a?a=17417734