A charcoal grill left unattended leaves a Topeka family out of their house Monday morning.
Topeka fire crews responded to the house fire at 816 Southwest Anderson shortly before midnight.
According to crews on scene one side of the house was fully involved in flames when they arrived.
Shift Commander Bob Martin said the family of two adults and two kids went to bed and left a charcoal grill to burn itself out.
“They told our investigators they were grilling last night and simply left it there to burn out when they went to bed,” Martin said, “ ‘Charcoal grills shouldn't be used on a wood deck, it should be concrete. Not that you shouldn't use them on a wood deck, but they shouldn't be left there after you're done.”
The family escaped the fire with no injuries. Martin had no information available on how the family discovered the fire or how much damage was caused
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.