Navy Chief Petty Officer Brian Naranjo says all six American troops were killed in two roadside bomb attacks. Four American soldiers were killed in the north of the country. They were involved in the training of the Afghan security forces.
Naranjo did not have details about the two troops killed in the country's south, where thousands of U.S. Marines are pushing forward with the biggest American military offensive in Afghanistan since the ouster of the Taliban from power in 2001.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
KABUL (AP) — A roadside bomb in northern Afghanistan killed four American soldiers Monday, while a suicide attack in the south killed two civilians, officials said.
"We received a message today that four American soldiers were killed in" a roadside bomb in the Kunduz area, he said. "There are no further details. So far as we know, it was a mentor team on the road in a Humvee."
Omar said the attack happened in the Ali Abad district of Kunduz province and wounded two Afghan civilians.
In comparison to the country's south and east, northern Afghanistan is relatively quiet. But roadside and other insurgent attacks have been increasing in the last few years.
The attack came after a suicide car bomber blew himself up outside the outer gate of the main NATO base in southern Afghanistan, killing two civilians and wounding 14 other people.
The incidents came as thousands of U.S. Marines in neighboring Helmand province mounted a major offensive against the Taliban. Over the weekend, insurgent attacks killed three British soldiers in the province, a militant stronghold and hub of the vast Afghan drugs trade.