Firefighters Battle Early Morning Fire

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- A daybreak blaze at a southwest Topeka home is being blamed structural wiring in the attic, according to the Topeka Fire Dept. Firefighters could see heavy flames coming from the front of the third floor of the home, 1301 SW 11th Street, shortly after 6:30 a.m.

Two people were safely outside the house by the time firefighters arrived and they said no one was else was still inside the home.

Firefighters say they were able to quickly contain the blaze, although the house reportedly received extensive fire and smoke damage. They said the fire caused $30,000 in structural damage and another $15,000 in damages to stuff in the home.

The American Red Cross has responded as well to help the people who lived there.

The Topeka Fire Dept. also noted they responded to another fire the day before. They determined that fire was accidental, and also associated with faulty structural wiring. The Topeka Fire Dept. believes the incidents are not connected.