Employees Escape After Fire Breaks Out At Topeka Pizza Hut

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Fire crews were called to the Pizza Hut located at 2119 S.W. Gage around 11:45 Tuesday night.

Topeka Fire Captain Dewayne Bouton told 13 news that crews reported seeing smoke from the building when they arrived. He said when crews went inside they had to pull down the ceiling to put the fire out. The crew initiated an "attack" on the fire and was extinguished, while keeping it contained to the origin.

Shawnee County Dispatch said the fire was out around 12:05 a.m. Wednesday. The incident inflicted smoke and water damage throughout the remaining portions of the structure.

The business was closed, but employees were still there.

Bouton said one of the three employees called in the fire after they noticed sparks, smoke and the lights flickering inside the business while they were working. He said all three escaped without injury.

Bouton said the cause appears to be electrical, and an investigation ruled the fire likely as accidental.

The origin of the fire was traced back to the attic space, and total damage costs total $150,000.

Four engine companies, two truck companies, and two Battalion Chiefs, one Safety Officer and a fire investigator responded to the alarm.

The Topeka Police Department and AMR also assisted.

No injuries were sustained during the incident.