Soldier Who Lost Family In Crash Busted For High Speed Chases

By  | 

GEARY COUNTY, Kan. (WIBW) -- Nearly a year after losing his wife and children in a head-on collision, a Fort Riley soldier has been arrested in connection with several dangerous high speed motorcycle chases.

Specialist Bryan Alfred, 22, of Junction City, was the only member of his family who survived an accident last August in Marion County. He was arrested Wednesday, July 24, 2013 in connection with a series of pursuits by members of local and state law enforcement agencies in Geary County.

Alfred was taken into custody at the Fort Riley Provost Marshall’s Office on a Geary County District Court warrant charging him with Fleeing and Eluding While Engaging in Reckless Driving, and another count of Reckless Driving.

Geary County Sheriff Tony Wolf says "good old fashioned police work" led authorities to identify Alfred as the man who allegedly fled from deputies, officers and troopers on different occasions. When asked if the chases reached high speeds, Sheriff Wolf said Alfred reached "bullet speeds" and that he managed to get away because it was too dangerous to continue chasing him, authorities making the call to end the pursuits to protect other drivers on the road.

Wolf says deputies made contact with Alfred several months ago on his motorcycle and kept a record of the bike. After speaking with witnesses and other law enforcement officers who had contact with him and chased him, they were able to identify him as the alleged speedy and elusive motorcyclist.

Last week, Sheriff Wolf says Alfred was going 118 mph on US 77 during rush hour.

Along with the arrest warrant, authorities also got a search warrant for Alfred's Junction City house and seized his motorcycle.

He posted $10,000 bond and is no longer confined in jail.

Kansas Highway Patrol reports indicate that on Friday, August 10th, 2012, a car driven by Alfred, was southbound on US Highway 56 (four miles south of Herington) when his vehicle went left of center and struck a Chevy Silverado going northbound. Alfred’s Nissan entered a ditch and overturned. The truck came to rest in the roadway.

At the time, Alfred was assigned to the 101st Brigade Support Battalion, 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team of the 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley. He was listed in serious condition at Saint Francis Hospital in Wichita after being airlifted there after the accident. He has since recovered from his injuries.

His wife, 20-year-old Amber Alfred, was killed in the crash along with the couple’s 2-year-old son, Josiah Alfred. Sources say Amber Alfred was also a Fort Riley soldier who worked as an x-ray technician at Irwin Army Community Hospital on post.

Another child, six-year-old Keith Johnson, who police also identified as the couple’s son (Bryan Alfred's stepson), was airlifted to Saint Francis Hospital in Wichita and was listed in critical condition in the days following the accident. He passed away from his injuries six days after the crash on August 16th, 2012.

The military family was reportedly on their way to an Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fight at the time of the crash.

Four passengers in the Chevy Silverado received what officials referred to as “limited” injuries. Troopers believe one of the occupants suffered a broken ankle. They were treated and released from Herington Hospital.

It is not clear what caused Bryan Alfred to cross over into oncoming traffic.

Marion County authorities say no criminal charges being filed against Alfred in connection with the deadly collision. Officials say civil litigation is underway with the victims’ family members.

Fort Riley officials say Alfred is a Patient Administration Specialist for the Army, maintaining medical records and performing medically-related administrative duties. He is currently assigned to the Warrior Transition Battalion at Fort Riley. He joined the U.S. Army in 2008.