Illness Causes Setback In Manhattan Murder Trial

By  | 

MANHATTAN, Kan. (WIBW) -- Jury selection was set to get underway Monday in the trial for a man accused of gunning down a Kansas National Guardsman outside of a party. But the proceedings were put on hold when the defendant's attorney fell ill and an ambulance was called to the courthouse.

Daniel Parker's trial was scheduled for this week in Riley County District Court. A group of potential jurors was sent home Monday morning after reporting to the Riley County courthouse when Parker's lawyer, Ron Evans, got sick. It's not clear what was wrong but paramedics responded.

Court officials revealed Monday afternoon that Parker's trial has been continued to August 19, 2013 due to "unforeseen circumstances."

Parker, 26, has pleaded not guilty to first degree murder in the death of Frederick Beverly, 21, who was shot and killed on New Year’s Day outside of a party at his motorcycle club. Beverly was a member of the Kansas National Guard.

Parker and Beverly were reportedly out in Aggieville earlier in the night on New Year's Eve with their respective friends when an altercation broke out between the two parties and words were exchanged. No one was injured and the friends that were there that night with the two men said they didn’t think much of the encounter.

Parker's friends testified that he left the bar in Aggieville around 1 AM with his wife. The shooting occurred several hours later after Beverly and members of his motorcycle club had made their way to their clubhouse in Manhattan.

Around 4 AM (on January 1, 2012), officers were called to 1827 Fair Lane, just south of the intersection of Fort Riley Boulevard and South Delaware Avenue where the "Assassin Street Rydaz," Beverly’s motorcycle club, were having an after-hours New Year's party.

Beverly was shot outside as he was manning the gate and received a fatal gunshot wound to his forehead.

Police identified Parker as the gunman and he was arrested several days after the deadly shooting.

At the time of his arrest, Parker was a specialist at Fort Riley assigned to the 1st Battalion, 63rd Armor Regiment, 2nd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley.

Police said that during a search of Parker’s Junction City apartment after the deadly shooting, police found a semi-automatic rifle in his closet along with ammunition. The KBI confirmed that a spent shell casing found at the crime scene was fired from Parker’s gun.

Investigators also testified during Parker's preliminary hearing on November 14, 2012 that his cell phone records placed him in Manhattan at the time of the shooting and they were able to trace him as he made his way back home to Junction City afterwards where he was captured on surveillance buying cigars and pizza at a convenience store near his apartment.

Prosecutors have security footage from a storage facility located near the clubhouse. Officials said it showed Parker’s Chevy Impala make its way up and down the street where Beverly was manning the gate, passing several feet from where he was standing. The car stopped and gunfire erupted and then it pulled away.

According to police, 20 bullet holes were found in a nearby building and two were found in a parked car. Beverly, they said, was struck by a ricochet or fragmented bullet, “shattering” his forehead. The bullets were described in court as "armor piercing rounds."

The defense says there was no connection between the incident at the bar and the shooting.

Ron Evans is the head of the Death Penalty Defense Unit for the State of Kansas. Daniel Parker is not charged with capital murder but Evans is representing him due to a conflict with the Public Defender's Office.

The victim, Frederick Beverly