Smoking May Be Behind Apartment Fire


TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW-TV) Fire officials say smoking may be the cause of a fire that broke out at a Southwest Topeka Apartment Complex Monday morning.

Shawnee County Dispatch told 13 New that fire fighters responded around 1:20 a.m. to an apartment complex at 4843 SW 17th Street.

Battalion Chief Michael Troth told us that fire crews reported fire in a stairwell when they arrived.

Troth said they quickly got it under control and it was put out just after 2 a.m.

Troth also said residents in an upstairs apartment were able to escape through a second floor window. No other injuries were reported.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 251894931 - wibw.com/a?a=251894931