Wichita Standoff Ends, Suspect Killed

By  | 


11:35 p.m.: Police confirm that the suspect who had been holed up for nearly 32 hours was killed shortly after 10:30 p.m. Thursday night after another exchange of gunfire with officers.

Wichita Police Captain Max Tenbrook briefed the media just after 10:30 p.m. Thursday.

Captain Tenbrook said the standoff lasted so long because lives were at stake, and they didn't want to increase the risk of injury. He said they did everything they could to bring the standoff to a peaceful end, and this is not the result they wanted.

No one else was injured in the standoff. The apartment building was damaged, but it's unclear to what extent. Police expect to be on scene for the next several days investigating.

Additional information is expected to be released at a briefing Friday morning.

10:50 pm: News media is waiting for police to confirm details of what has happened. Screaming and crying can be hard - KAKE reports authorities have just informed family gathered at the scene what unfolded.

10:35 pm: KAKE says a dispatch supervisor tells them the standoff is over and the suspect has been very critically injured.

9:45 p.m.: A second loud "boom" has been heard by crews at the scene.

9:35 p.m.: KAKE crews on the scene just heard a loud explosion coming from one of the apartment buildings.

7:50 pm
Police brief media. They say suspect is alive, but they do not know if he is injured. They say they had contact with him earlier in the day, but that has since ceased.

Wichita PD says, with the standoff entering a second night, resources are stretched and they need additional resources.

7 pm
Kansas Bureau of Investigation Crime Scene vehicle arrives at scene.

6:30 p.m.
Shortly before 6 p.m., officers entered the building and shots were exchanged between the suspect and SWAT. It's unclear if the suspect was injured in the firefight, but no officers were hurt.

SWAT has since pulled out of the building. The entrance to the complex has been blocked, and no residents are currently being allowed back in.

6 p.m.
More shots fired.

5 p.m.:
Tear gas is being redeployed in the apartment building.

4:30 p.m.:
The Red Cross has established a shelter for displaced residents at Ruth Clark Elementary, located at 1900 W. 55th St. South. It's expected to open at 5:30 p.m., and residents are asked to enter in the west parking lot.

1:30 p.m.:
The Red Cross has run out of shelters for displaced residents of the apartment complex that police are currently surrounding. They are assessing the number of people requiring assistance and their specific needs.

9:30 a.m.:
Electricity has now been completely shut off at the apartment building in question, and officers believe he may have broke through the wall into a neighboring unit.

Several rounds of tear gas have been deployed, but police believe they've been ineffective because he's barricaded in a bathroom.

Additional police officers have also arrived.

8:00 a.m.:
SWAT and police continue to surround a southwest Wichita apartment complex nearly 18 hours after a standoff began with a suspect believed to have fired shots inside a Kmart store.

Since last night, SWAT has deployed gas and flash bang grenades into the apartment, but the suspect is still inside.

Sources say the suspect is 24-year-old Jared Lee Woosypiti, who officers had already been searching for in connection to the stabbing of a woman in Derby on July 4.

11:00 p.m.:
Shots were fired in the area of the standoff during the 9:00 p.m. hour. No injuries were reported.

The standoff continues at an apartment complex in the 4100 block of South Seneca.

4:15 p.m.:
Sources close to the investigation say the suspect in the Kmart shooting incident is also wanted in connection to a recent stabbing in Derby.

Officers have been searching for 24-year-old Jared Lee Woosypiti in connection to an attempted murder that happened in the 700 block of South Woodlawn in Derby on July 4. Investigators believe Woosypiti stabbed a woman several times during a party.

She's recovering at a Wichita hospital.

3:45 p.m:
The SWAT Team and several police officers are involved in a standoff with the suspect connected to the incident at Kmart earlier this afternoon.

Some roads in the area are blocked and police are asking that people stay out of the area. Area apartment residents say they've been evacuated.

Background info posted Wednesday
Police are actively searching for a suspect who fired multiple shots inside a south Wichita department store during an attempted robbery.

According to police, a man walked into the Kmart store located at 47th and Broadway around 1:30 this afternoon. He went to the pharmacy at the front of the store, and demanded prescription drugs from the pharmacist and the clerk. When they refused, the suspect reportedly pulled out a gun and fired several shots into the floor and ceiling. He then ran from the store.

About 70 people were inside the store at the time. Witnesses describe panic and chaos as customers and employees ran to the back of the store when shots were fired. No one was injured.

The suspect is described as a white man, about 6 feet, 1 inch tall who weighed approximately 205 pounds. He was wearing a long-sleeve gray shirt, khaki pants and sunglasses. He had brown hair and was clean-shaven, and drove away in a 4-door green Ford Taurus.

Anyone who sees a person matching this description is asked to call police immediately. He is to be considered armed and dangerous.