SPARKS, Nev. (CBS/AP)-- Police say the two people killed in a school shooting were a staff member and a student who was likely the attacker.
Two other students were critically injured in the violence that erupted before classes began Monday. Authorities said the staff member was trying to intervene.
Sparks Mayor Geno Martini said at an afternoon press conference the situation had already resolved itself.
"The city is very safe," Martini said. "This is an isolated incident."
The shooting happened on the school's campus, but outside the school building itself, according to police. A Sparks police dispatcher said the first call for the incident came in at 7:16 a.m. Monday.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reported initially that a 12-year-old boy was shot as classes were starting, and the school had been placed on lockdown.
Washoe County School District spokesman Charles Rahn says the middle school and next door Agnes Risley Elementary School have been evacuated to Sparks High School. Rahn said the middle and elementary schools will be closed Monday.
Gov. Brian Sandoval issued a statement after hearing about the shooting.
"I was deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning. My administration is receiving regular updates and the Nevada Highway Patrol is assisting at the scene," he said. Sandoval extended his thoughts and prayers to those affected.
© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.