During inclement weather, the Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office strongly discourages any non-essential travel. Please do not attempt to drive if you do not absolutely have to. If driving is absolutely necessary, ensure yourself safer travels by following these driving tips:
Slow down! For wet, snowy, icy conditions.
Avoid quick braking or acceleration.
Find out about driving conditions before you go.
Every time - buckle up!
Turn signals, brake lights and windows need to be clear of snow.
You should never use cruise control in winter weather conditions.
Due to the inclement weather forecasted for our area over the next 24 to 48 hours, there is a possibility that Shawnee County will implement phase III accident reporting. During Phase III reporting, the Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office will respond and investigate only those accidents listed below:
• Injury, possible injury or death to any person
• Possible impairment of a driver due to drugs or alcohol
• Incidents of hit and run
• Incidents where there is a disturbance between the parties involved
• Any hazardous material situation.
• When the accident results in major traffic congestion.
• And when there is damage to a vehicle to the extent that towing is required.
All other accidents will be referred to the front desk during standard business hours (785-368-2200) or at the earliest convenience of the involved parties.