Authorities Release Photo Of Junction City Shootout Suspect

Michael Hall (Born: 10-25-82)
By  | 

JUNCTION CITY, Kan. (WIBW) -- What started as a routine traffic stop in Junction City Friday led to an exchange of gunfire in a quiet neighborhood and an intense search for the gunman.

Michael Hall, 30, of Junction City, was taken into custody Friday after a massive manhunt. He was arrested on two counts of Aggravated Assault on a Law Enforcement Officer, two counts of Obstruction, Attempted Murder in the First Degree, Criminal Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon, Fleeing and Eluding and two counts of Aggravated Endangering a Child.

According to officials, a deputy with the Geary County Sheriff's Office tried to stop a vehicle for several traffic violations around 11:04 a.m. Friday on the south side of Junction City.

Hall did not stop and a pursuit ensued. He eventually abandoned his vehicle in a residential area on Lockstone Court and bailed out of the car, police said.

"The subject exited the vehicle and began to flee on foot. Shots were fired a the deputy and the deputy returned fire. The subject was not located at that time," explained Lieutenant Jeff Childs with the Junction City Police Department.

Police combed the area looking for Hall. A helicopter, plane and K-9 units were used during the search.

A short time later, Junction City police located Hall at Knights Inn, located at 1024 South Washington Street in Junction City, and a foot chase began.

As a detective tried to arrest him, police say Hall attempted to grab the officer's weapon and as a result, was shot in the lower leg near his ankle.

"The officer attempted to apprehend the subject and had him at gunpoint. The suspect, at that point, grabbed for the officer’s gun and the officer backed away and a shot was fired from the officer’s weapon," Childs said.

A witness to the shooting at the hotel who did not want to be identified told 13 News that the detective was "calm and professional" during the tense encounter and "acted appropriately, especially considering the circumstances."

Hall was treated at Geary County Community Hospital and once released, he was booked into the Geary County Jail.

The names of the detective and deputy involved in the incident have not been released. They were not injured

The KBI is investigating the matter.

Initial reports to 13 News said two suspects were involved. A release from authorities Friday afternoon only mentioned one individual in the case.

"At this time, we believe we have everyone located that was involved in the incident,' Lt. Childs told WIBW.

Michael Hall made his first court appearance Monday and a judge raised his bond from $100,000 to $250,000. He remains confined in the Geary County Jail. Officials say Hall has been living in Junction City and staying at the Knights Inn where he was captured in the midst of Friday's manhunt.

He'll appear in court again on December 18, 2012 for a status hearing.

Knights Inn, Junction City (Photo: Lindsey rogers/WIBW-TV)
Knights Inn, Junction City (Photo: Lindsey rogers/WIBW-TV)
Michael Hall (Born: 10-25-82)