(KAKE)-- Dodge City Animal control is reminding all pet owners to have their pets vaccinated for rabies following the discovery of a rabid skunk.
Animal control workers found a skunk in the 2200 block of West Wyatt Earp Blvd on September 17th. The skunk was out during daylight hours, rolling around and acting strange.
The skunk was destroyed. It tested positive for rabies.
Rabies vaccinations for pets are required in Kansas.
The K-State Rabies Laboratory offers these tips to prevent rabies.
• Have your veterinarian vaccinate all dogs, cats, ferrets, horses, and valuable livestock against rabies.
• If bitten by an animal, seek medical attention and report the bite to your local public health department or animal control department immediately.
• If your animal is bitten, contact your veterinarian for advice.
• Do not handle or feed wild animals. Never adopt wild animals or bring them into your home.
• If wild animals appear sick or injured, call animal control or an animal rescue agency for assistance.
• Teach children never to handle unfamiliar animals, wild or domestic, even if they appear friendly.