Police: Rifle Used In Murder Found In Suspect's Closet

Frederick Beverly
By  | 

RILEY COUNTY, Kan. (WIBW) -- New details emerged in court Wednesday in a deadly shooting in Manhattan that claimed the life of a Kansas National Guardsman.

After several hours of testimony Wednesday during a preliminary hearing, Riley County District Magistrate Judge Sheila Hochhauser found probable cause in the case of Daniel Parker, 26.

Parker is charged with first degree murder in the death of Frederick Beverly, 21, who was shot and killed on New Year’s Day outside of a party at his motorcycle club. Beverly was a member of the Kansas National Guard.

Beverly’s friends and family filled the courtroom for the hearing. Parker’s family was also in attendance.

Witnesses testified that Parker and Beverly were out in Aggieville earlier in the night on New Year's Eve with their respective friends when an altercation broke out between the two parties and words were exchanged. No one was injured and the friends that were there that night with the two men said they didn’t think much of the encounter.

Parker's friends testified that he left the bar in Aggieville around 1 AM with his wife. The shooting occurred several hours later after Beverly and members of his motorcycle club had made their way to their clubhouse in Manhattan.

Around 4 AM (on January 1, 2012), officers were called to 1827 Fair Lane, just south of the intersection of Fort Riley Boulevard and South Delaware Avenue where the "Assassin Street Rydaz," Beverly’s motorcycle club, were having an after-hours New Year's party.

Beverly was shot outside as he was manning the gate and received a fatal gunshot wound to his forehead.

Police identified Parker as the gunman and he was arrested several days after the deadly shooting.

At the time of his arrest, Parker was a specialist at Fort Riley assigned to the 1st Battalion, 63rd Armor Regiment, 2nd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley.

Riley County Police Officer Steve Gregoire, a crime scene investigator, testified Wednesday that during a search of Parker’s Junction City apartment after the deadly shooting, police found a semi-automatic rifle in his closet along with ammunition. Gregoire said the KBI confirmed that a spent shell casing found at the crime scene was fired from Parker’s gun.

Retired RCPD investigator Ryan Runyan also testified that Parker’s cell phone records placed him in Manhattan at the time of the shooting and they were able to trace him as he made his way back home to Junction City after wards where he was captured on surveillance buying cigars and pizza at a convenience store near his apartment.

Prosecutors also presented security footage from a storage facility located near the clubhouse. Runyan said it showed Parker’s Chevy Impala make its way up and down the street where Beverly was manning the gate, passing several feet from where he was standing. The car stopped and gunfire erupted and then it pulled away.

Police said 20 bullet holes were found in a nearby building and two were found in a parked car. Beverly, they said, was struck by a ricochet or fragmented bullet, “shattering” his forehead. The bullets were described in court as "armor piercing rounds."

A witness to the shooting testified that he heard the gunman say “I got you now…” before the shots were fired in rapid succession. He could not, however, identify the shooter.

While on the stand, one of Parker's friends from the Army told the judge that he had taken Parker with him to the clubhouse in November 2011, prior to the shooting, to hang out since he knew several of the members- indicating that Parker knew where the clubhouse was and who the "Assassin Street Rydaz" were.

Parker’s attorney, Ron Evans, asked the judge to dismiss all of his charges, saying there was no connection between the incident at the bar and the shooting.

But Judge Hochhauser bound Parker over to stand trial for first degree murder and discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling, finding probable cause in the case.

His arraignment is scheduled for November 26th at 9 AM at the Riley County courthouse.

Parker remains in custody.