Rolling Fireplace Log Ignites Topeka Home Overnight

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Fire officials say all residents were safely evacuated from a home that caught fire in Southeast Topeka early Thursday morning.

Fire crews responded to a possible fire around 1:20 a.m. Thursday morning at a home located at 3919 S.E. 33rd.

Upon arrival crews noticed smoke coming out the front door of the house. Officials said the residents had already evacuated after they were awakened by smoke detectors.

The fire was quickly contained and officially out at 1:40 a.m.

Officials said the fire started when a log rolled out of the home's fireplace and set the carpet on fire.

No one was injured, but the residents were treated for smoke inhalation and released on scene.